Friday, May 31, 2013

Chalkboard Flowerpot Markers

"Mary, Mary, quite contrary
how does your garden grow?
With Silver bells and Cockleshells
and pretty maids all in a row."
 


I have another idea for a very quick garden project to share. 
Chalkboard Flowerpot Markers. 
I made these as a small tuck-in gift for a gardening friend, but I was thinking that they also would be a fast and fun teacher gift for children to make for their teachers at the end of the school year.


They are super simple to make and whether you wrap them up in a little paper sleeve or tie them up with ribbon and perhaps a packet of seeds, it will make a thoughtful gift.


Step one:  Scrounge around in your junk drawer or craft supplies box and pull out some popsicle sticks.  It doesn't matter what size you use or if they are mismatched.  We're going to paint them anyway.


Step two:  Using chalkboard paint (you can find a little can at your local hardware store) paint both sides of the popsicle/craft sticks.  You might want to give them a 2nd coat of paint after the first coat dries.


Step three:  This is optional but I sanded one end into a point.  I just thought it would make inserting the sticks into the flowerpots easier if they had a pointed end.


Step four:  Tie up your sticks with a chalk pencil and give as a tuck-in gift, teacher's present or along with a package of seeds or plant.  You can find chalk pencils in fabric stores, staples and sometimes Walmart or discount stores will have them.  You could also use a white wax pencil.


I didn't write on mine before I gave them to my friend.  My handwriting is awful.  But this gives you an idea what they'll look like.
 
Play around with them.  Perhaps you'd like to add a flourish or stamp a small picture of an herb or plant on them.


Until next time,
Cheers!

Jennifer


 

You can find me at the following parties


Share your Cup Thursday Have a Daily Cup
 




A Stroll Thru Life  "Inspire me Tuesday"

 

4 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.